[Samba] Best way to Upgrade Samba 3.014a

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Wed May 10 19:24:37 GMT 2006

Your best bet, if you are running a Debian/Sarge server (likely given
the Samba version you quoted), is to just apply the security updates
that Debian puts on their site.

Put
  deb http://security.debian.org/ sarge/updates main contrib non-free
in your /etc/apt/sources.list file, then
  apt-get update
  apt-get dist-upgrade
from time to time to keep up with security patches.

This won't get you from 3.0.14a however.

If you want to upgrade to a more recent version, you need to add an
"etch" repository (testing) to your sources.list. In this case, select a
debian site near you. Make sure that it says etch or testing (change it
from sarge or stable if you have to), do an
  apt-get update
  apt-get install samba
and you should be OK.

Please note: I do NOT endorse mixing Debian stable and testing on a
server. It makes keeping up with security updates tricky. Nor do I
recommend upgrading a server to testing/etch at this point, although you
may like running testing/etch on a workstation (a year's worth of
updated packages).

If you want to mix stable and testing, comment out the etch repository
except when you want to update Samba. And don't forget to run apt-get
update afterwards. You do not want to upgrade your server to Debian/Testing!