[Samba] AD users from different AD domains - update

Don Meyer dlmeyer at uiuc.edu
Wed May 10 19:10:01 GMT 2006

Indeed!  It seems to me that if a member server of domain A can get
the list of groups from DC in A, and can enumerate the users from
both domains A & B, then it should be able to present the membership
of a group in A, to the extent that the users belong to domain A or
B.    Right now, winbind can only present that membership for users
that are in the same domain as the group -- in this example, only
from domain A.

Quite frankly, I can understand why a Samba member server in domain A
might not be able to fully present the group membership for a group
from domain B -- but it really ought to be able to do it more fully
when the group in question is from its own domain...

And especially when other tools in the suite can do it:

         net rpc group members {groupname} -S {domain-name} -U {username%pass}

Will get you a correct listing of group membership if username%pass
is valid credentials on the specified domain.  (Does not have to be
admin in my testing.)

Since winbind has access to the "auth-user" that can be set by
"wbinfo --set-auth-user=...", and it knows which domain to query from
the group list, winbind should be able to put 2 & 2 together to get a
proper group listing from the home domain.

(Yes, assuming "wbinfo --set-auth-user=" has been used to set the
auth-user credentials to use, and assuming that those credentials are
for the server's home domain.)

It would sure be nice if Winbind would at least try to derive a
full(er) group list, rather than simply not bothering to try because
it won't always succeed...

Cheers,
-D