[Samba] Samba shares will not set proper permissions.

Mark Adams mark9117 at hotmail.com
Wed May 10 16:23:05 GMT 2006

I upgraded from my desktop from Mandrake 10.1 to Mandriva 2006
recently.  It went pretty well, but I am having some issues connecting
to samba shares on my Mandrake 10.1-based server.

The shares worked fine under 10.1, but now I can't get them to mount
with read-write permission. I'm assuming this is a problem related only
to the mdrva 2006 client -- I haven't changed a thing on the server and
my Windows desktops have no problems with these shares.

With the shares unmounted, I can set permissions at the mount points to
775 (rwxrwxr-x) owned by me (madams).  Once I mount the shares, they
immediately revert to 755 (rwxr-xr-x) owned by root.

The logs appear to be silent on this.

Just for your reference here is the fstab line for mounting the shares
in question:
============
//shuttle/madams /mnt/shuttle/madams smbfs
credentials=/home/madams/.samba 0 0

//shuttle/server /mnt/shuttle/server smbfs
credentials=/home/madams/.samba 0 0

//shuttle/super /mnt/shuttle/super smbfs credentials=/home/madams/.samba
0 0
=============

Incidentally, the same thing happens when I mount the shares manually.
However, it appears that I can dismount, then mount the shares with
LinNeighborhood and they function more or less correctly correctly
(can't get the "execute" bit to set on files in subdirectories).  That's
okay for a workaround, but I'd really like to get this sorted out and
working like it's supposed to from boot.

Here is the code from the samba server that defines the mounts:

============
[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = no
writable = yes

[server]
create mask = 0775
comment = Public Stuff
path = /share
public = yes
writable = yes
read only = no
valid users = madams,sparkles,alex
# write list = @users

[super]
        create mask = 0775
        comment = Large share on Shuttle Server
        valid users = madams,sparkles,alex
        printable = no
        writable = yes
        public = yes
        path = /mnt/super

--
Mark E. Adams
http://adamslan.shyper.com

Random Musing:
"I have not the slightest confidence in 'spiritual manifestations.'"
-- Robert G. Ingersoll