[Samba] Switching Ldap Servers

Mike Cauble mcauble at lufkin.com
Tue May 9 22:15:18 GMT 2006

Jim,

I recently did the same thing, here is what I found:

First the message  "net_auth2: creds_server_check failed"  I see this
when a machine changes it's sambaNTPassword, while this appears to be an
error message my machines go ahead and change their password.

Your comment " one person was getting this error and I believe was able
to remove the machine and then rejoin the domain" tells me the new ldap
doesn't have some things that the old ldap has regarding machine accounts.

When I migrated my ldap, some machines couldn't connect even thought
they had an account on the domain. Here are some of the reasons

"sambaPwdLastSet"  must have a valid value (ie. 1146061069) I can't
remember but all the date fields ( sambaPwdMustChange,
sambaPwdCanChange) may have to have a valid value

check your old ldap machine entries against the new ldap entries
sambaSID, sambaNTPassword must match, make sure sambaAcctFlags  has a [W]

objectClass: sambaSamAccount - I have seen this discussed as something
that has changed you might want to check this

You might remove and re-add a machine then look at it's ldap entry and
compare with another machine account's old ldap entry.

It should work, it most probably an ldap problem.

                                                       Mike

Hello List,