[Samba] Re: Error Messages during installation

വിവെക്.വി.സി Vivek Varghese Cherian vivekcherian at gmail.com
Tue May 9 06:51:41 GMT 2006

On 5/8/06, വിവെക്.വി.സി Vivek Varghese Cherian <vivekcherian at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I  installed of Samba on  Debian GNU/Linux Sarge.
>
> Things went smoothly but I got some "failed" ( error? ) messages like
>
> account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 4 (maximum password
> age), returning 0
>
> at the end.
>
> Could someone please explain to me what this is. Is it a serious issue???
> or problems with the deb package??
>
> Full details below. Thankyou so much.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> -
> Vivek Varghese Cherian
> Free as in Freedom  <www.gnu.org>
>

> wisdom:~# uname -a
> Linux wisdom.box 2.6.8-2-386 #1 Tue Aug 16 12:46:35 UTC 2005 i686
> GNU/Linux
>

> This is the error message that i am getting.
>

> Setting up samba (3.0.22-1) ...
> Generating /etc/default/samba...
> TDBSAM version too old (0), trying to convert it.
> TDBSAM converted successfully.
> account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 1 (min password
> length), returning 0
> account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 2 (password
> history), returning 0
> account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 3 (user must logon
> to change
>
> password), returning 0
> account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 4 (maximum password
> age), returning 0
> account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 5 (minimum password
> age), returning 0
> account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 6 (lockout
> duration), returning 0
> account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 7 (reset count
> minutes), returning 0
> account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 8 (bad lockout
> attempt), returning 0
> account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 9 (disconnect time),
> returning 0
> account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 10 (refuse machine
> password change),
>
> returning 0
> Starting Samba daemons: nmbd smbd.
>

> -

On subsequent investigation i found out that a bug report has been made on
the same issue at http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=307702

This is the same issue i am facing. Seems like the error messages do not
appear when the debian "samba" and "samba-common" packages are installed for
the first time.

These error messages appear once the samba packages are purged ( i had to do
this for some reason) and an attempt is made to reinstall them. Samba gets
installed fine and works just fine, but for these error messages.

Seems like some sort of verbosity issue and the bug report severity is set
as minor.