[Samba] samba as a dc

Robert Mortimer rmortimer at bluechiptechnology.co.uk
Mon May 8 09:29:54 GMT 2006

> Hello!
>
> I want to connect computers with windows xp (pro/home) to a one computer
> linux (with samba). I want to every user who want to use his/her account
> data may use any of the computers in the office and have theys personal
> data (in any pleace in the office) (domain or something, i don't know). I
> have a little problem with a how to plan and configure all of
> that and i am thinking if it is really possible to do.
> Please give an advice, links.
>
> Thx
>
>  Dawid

Computers with XP home will not recognise centralised logon details
(Microsoft have chosen to exclude this functionality in this version). Users
can however map drives using domain authenticated credentials.

The SAMBA list can not substitute for the following.

1: A basic understanding of windows/SMB networking
2: Reading the supplied documentation

However

Some Distros provide basic graphical configuration utilities that may meet
your requirements (Red Hat, Fedora, Suse & Mandrake)

For a PDC configuration look at the excellent smbldap-installer available
from  http://www.vcsvikings.org/docuwiki/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/ This script works
with Fedora Core 4 & Umbuntu and will provide you with an NT4 stile domain
controller.

PS Ensure that ACLs are configured if you want NT style file permissions
(google "ACL SAMBA LINUX"). Most modern SAMBA binaries now come with ACL by
default but you may need to change the mount options for your underlying
file system.

Robert