[Samba] How to Change samba's PW from XP

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Sun May 7 13:43:08 GMT 2006

It sounds like you have two domains. One way to handle this, since you
seem to be saying that your Samba server is really just a file server,
is to make it a member server in the Windows domain and get your
passwords from the Windows domain.

Or you can set up a domain trust between the two domains, so your Samba
domain trusts your Windows domain. In either of these cases, all your
user information is in the Windows domain only so there is no need to
push password information to your Samba server.

Or you could integrate your Samba LDAP with the Authentication Server's
(AS) LDAP. You'd need to add the fields from the Samba LDAP schema to
the AS LDAP schema and merge the data. Then point Samba to the AS LDAP
server. I believe this would make the Samba server a DC in the Windows
domain.

Finally, you could have two separate domains, which sounds like your
current case. In this case, when the user changes their password,
Windows allows them the select the domain they want to change their
password in. Select the Samba domain from the pulldown list (how to get
the second (Samba) domain on the list is Windows XP question :) ).