[Samba] Enabling filenames with ?, *, etc ?

Jeremy Friesner jaf at lcsaudio.com
Sat May 6 01:41:33 GMT 2006

Hi all,

I know it's not an encouraged practice, but is there some secret setting I can
put in my smb.conf file so that smbd will allow the user to have asterisks,
question marks, etc in his file names?  My server is used in an environment
where all the client OS's are fairly modern (SUSE Linux 10.x, MacOS/X 10.4.x,
and Windows XP only), so backwards compatibility with legacy OS's isn't a
concern... and it seems silly that even though both the client's file system
and the server's file system (ext3) can handle the file name, the
file-transfer protocol refuses to deal with it.

Thanks for any advice,
Jeremy