[Samba] Cannot write over root owned file

david rankin drankin at cox-internet.com
Wed May 3 20:52:22 GMT 2006

From: "Larry Alkoff" <labradley at mindspring.com>
> david rankin wrote:
>> From: "Larry Alkoff" <labradley at mindspring.com>
>>>
>>> Which leads to the question,  how do I act as root on a samba share?
>>> Or perhaps the question is how do I become root on the share?
>>> Is sharing as root okay or is it bad practice?  Why?
>>>

>> Larry, in your smb.conf, try this:
>>
>>        valid users = you
>>        force user = root
>>        force group = root
>>        admin users = you
>>
>> I believe if you just set admin users = whoever, that will force the user
>> and group to root by default. It has been a while since I played with
>> this, but I still use it and it works...
>
> I'm a little hesitant to access a share with full root access all the
> time.  Do you consider this safe?

Yes, it's safe as long and you don't go wild hitting the [del] key in a
willie-nillie fashion. What I usually do that masks this from all users
except me is to create the user shares say:

/home/samba/office
/home/samba/forms
/home/samba/jointcase

Then for my use I include an additional share for my use only which give me
root access to all share data; and that also hides the share from all users.
YMMV, but it works for me.

[samba]
        comment = Base Samba Share
        path = /home/samba
        valid users = david
        force user = david
        force group = ochiltree
        admin users = david
        browseable = no
        writeable = Yes
        inherit permissions = yes

> What I've worked out is to mount tillie in my smbmt script with the line:
> smbmount //tillie/all  /mnt/tillie
> which picks up the $USER.
> So if I run the script as $USER=root I'm root, otherwise a user even
> though my $UID=0 when I su to run the script and smbmount.
>
> I wish there was some way to "su" into a share but haven't seen it yet.

Well for me, its fire up PuTTy; www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
ssh server, log in as me,
su
and you are in.

>> Aside: Next time you are at the Salt Lick in Driftwood, don't forget to
>> order the blueberry cobbler and vanilla ice cream desert. Yes, after the
>> family style all you can eat, it will hurt, but it is worth it...
>
> Ahh, Salt Lick.  I live close by, off Camp Ben Macoulough Rd about two
> miles from Hwy 290 West so I've been there more times than is good for me
> <g>
>
> Come to town some town and I'll treat you.  I'm in the book.

You are on! Both grand parents lived in Austin. 1807 Pearl, and the other in
Jonestown on lake Travis. Ahh the days, the hike-n-bike, the lake, chasing
squirrels with bb guns in Pease Park, Barton Springs (before it was
topless), Town Lake.....

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
RANKIN LAW FIRM, PLLC