[Samba] samba 3 performance issues

malcolm malcolm at malcolm-agnew.de
Tue May 2 09:19:32 GMT 2006

On Monday 01 May 2006 13:25, you wrote:
> malcolm wrote:
> > What dows this mean in /var/log/samba/<machine>
> > (apart from everything to do with printing from Windoze to a Linux
> > printer taking such a long time)?
> >

> > error packet at smbd/ipc.c(97) cmd=37 (SMBtrans) STATUS_BUFFER_OVERFLOW
>
> You don't give a lot of background so I'll just respond in
> the general case.  The STATUS_BUFFER_OVERFLOW error is used
> to indicate to a client that the RPC reply PDU will be fragmented
> across multiple read requests.

When I "print" from Windows, I get 8 messages with STATUS_BUFFER_OVERFLOW, and
when I put the cursor over my printer icon, I see the balloon message "access
denyed, no connection possible". All of this takes up to 30 seconds.

If I ignore the the warning that the printer is not accessible, I get another
3 warnings of STATUS_BUFFER_OVERFLOW, but then after about a minute, the
output appears at the printer.

My smb.conf is as follows:

[global]
   workgroup = MALCOLM.NET
   kernel oplocks = no
   os level = 2
   time server = Yes
   unix extensions = Yes
   encrypt passwords = yes
   map to guest = Bad User
   printing = CUPS
   printcap name = CUPS
   socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
   wins support = No
   veto files = /*.eml/*.nws/riched20.dll/*.{*}/
   # character set = ISO8859-15
   log level = 3
   log file = /var/log/samba/%m
   interfaces = eth1 192.168.15.1/255.255.255.0
   server string = Samba Server
   add user script =
   domain logons = no
   local master = no