[Samba] smb-ldap or not to smb-ldap

Antony Gelberg antony at wayforth.co.uk
Fri Mar 31 15:30:14 GMT 2006

Hi all,

We are deploying a Linux server and desktops for a customer.  We will
have the users and groups in LDAP on the server, and files shared via NFS.

However, one never knows if Windows desktops will be needed in the
future.  Is it a good idea to add users with smb-ldap even if samba is
not initially used, as adding the samba attributes to an existing LDAP
database is painful, and the smb-ldap created users will have the
relevant POSIX credentials to be able to login anyway?

Antony