[Samba] samba 3 performance issues

Collen Blijenberg collen at mail.hermanjordan.nl
Fri Mar 31 07:17:45 GMT 2006

Beside the story Greg Folkert wrote (witch make sense)
remember this about GB network carts:

You'll never get a full 1000 mb/s !
i saw you have a celeron processor (witch ain't the fastest in performance)
coz' gb nic's tent to use a lot processor overhead, also raid cards use
(a little) processor time.
hdd through put is an issue, all together makes the performance.

I've tested 2 marvel yukons (pci-x) between 2 xp clients, with only
memory transfers and got (after some windows tweaking, coz windows isn't
gb lan ready by default!!!!) 500mb/s (so that is only 50%)
and had 99% proc. load. (pentium M 1.8)
on realtek gb lan cards it was even worse.

so a big processor(s) and real fast hdd's might do you some good!

so put this together with Greg's story, and you'll get the fact's.

Cheers, and good luck with testing/tweaking

Collen.