[Samba] changing passwords from Windows XP Pro workstations

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Mar 30 16:14:16 GMT 2006

I'm keeping this on list.

On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 08:52 -0500, Gary Dale wrote:
> Craig White wrote:

> >----
> >if I was going to guess...I think your problems are...
> >
> >http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba3-ByExample/small.html#id2525330
> >
> >see items #3 through #7
> >
> >you don't have a passwd chat script as I recall. That's probably
> >important.
> >
> >your setup should track this setup as I see it.
> >
> >http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba3-ByExample/secure.html
> >
> >since you have no interest in advancing your skills, count me out next
> >time unless you learn to ask simple questions. The simple truth is, if
> >you want know little, point and click Windows network administration,
> >you are probably better off using a Microsoft Windows server.
> >
> >My interest is in helping people that actually are interested in
> >learning something, yes gasp, those that actually do want to become
> >expert. Lastly, I would heavily suggest you forget about LDAP until your
> >attitude changes because it is hostile to administrators that don't want
> >to become knowledgdable.
> >
> >Craig
> >

> Thanks Craig. I think you'll see a problem here. You suggest that the
> issue may be a lack of a passwd chat script, while two others suggest I
> remove the passwd chat script - which is almost identical to the one in
> the second URL you just gave.
>
> The issue isn't about whether people want to learn. It's about how much
> they have to learn to get things to work. If something takes too much
> effort, in the real world it doesn't get done. There is nothing
> inherently complicated about managing a directory service. Look at the
> simple Linux tools for user  or printer administration for proof. I see
> no virtue in making Samba-LDAP configuration a black art. A basic setup
> should be easy to achieve. In fact, from what I have been reading, LDAP
> should be the standard Samba backend. That won't happen if people have
> to spend a week or more learning how to use it.
----
You completely do not get it.

Samba is infinitely configurable.

Windows - at the moment of setup you have to choose the role for a
server, whether a domain controller or a member server. The workstation
is sold separately.

Samba provides all of those roles including a Windows 95/98 server too.

There is no way that anyone can solve your problem with any certainty
without suitable logs, an inspection of your tdbsam and your /etc/passwd
files AND the smb.conf, the whole of which you dumped on us last night
and undoubtedly have changed many times since. Proper mail list
etiquette and a commitment to demonstrating that you are actually
focused on the problem would dictate that you limit those items to only
the minimum necessary logs, smb.conf, etc.

Your information is incomplete and as I stated last night, I am not
going to speculate any further on your problems. In fact, your reply has
made me sorry that I even speculated on the solution to your problem.

As for my 'seeing' the problem - that being in your mind - different
suggestions to solve your problem - that is absolutely absurd.

***The problem*** is you don't know how to provide the information with
which someone can tell you what the definitive solution would be.

As for your suggestion that Samba-LDAP a black art...Samba is Samba and
LDAP is LDAP - you understand neither package so expecting them to work
for you is a rather pointless endeavor. Knowledge is power and you
appear to be lacking both. Yet you expect them to work for you even
though you don't understand them nor wish to understand them - I wish
you luck.

Let me be blunt - you are a help vampire. Please don't email me any more
until you change your ways.

Craig