[Samba] File versioning with Samba (on a Linux filesystem)?

Barry, Christopher cbarry at silverstorm.com
Wed Mar 29 15:20:43 GMT 2006

I do something like this nightly. It's not 'real-time', and I store the
versions on another box, but the effect is pretty similar. I have
everyone map this box via the logon script, so they all have access to
their older stuff. Letting people restore their own files is nice. ;)

It's done with a combination of glastree
<http://www.igmus.org/code/#glastree>, and custom scripting I wrote to
create a doubly-nested DFS tree, and to create all of the samba
configuration files and acl files on the fly. I'm using NIS, and I'm
setting access perms based on this - so it may need serious hacking if
your environment is totally different.

If anyone is interested, I can tar up all of the scripts and send them
out. There's nothing approaching documentation for it, but I can
probably give limited help to anyone who has questions.

lemme know.

-C