[Samba] Linux Samba server mounts hundreds of filesystems

Karandeep Singh kdsingh at ichips.intel.com
Tue Mar 28 00:18:27 GMT 2006

We are a fairly large site with several thousand unix filesystems available
for a Samba server to mount.  Some Windows user or users are running an
application or command that causes the Samba server to mount everything. Even
though we have a specially hacked kernel that allows upward of 7000 mounts, the
mount table fills up and messes up the automounter. This is not a Samba issue.
I would like some pointers as to how to identify the command(s) users are
running on the Windows side that causes this on our Linux Samba server. We have
hundreds of Samba clients and increasing the debug level for all does not
seem the way to go. I am also not sure as to which the suspect clients are
to zero in on them.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to how to proceed with the debug, what log level to set,
and what strings to look for in (which) log files would be appreciated.

Here are some details.

uname -a
Linux plxs0131 2.4.9-45lxset36tcpsmp #1 SMP Wed Jan 12 09:16:34 PST 2005 i686 unknown

smbd -V
Version 3.0.10

Thanks,

 -KD