[Samba] File versioning with Samba (on a Linux filesystem)?

Henrik Zagerholm henke at mac.se
Tue Mar 28 20:40:20 GMT 2006

28 mar 2006 kl. 22:27 skrev Tomasz Chmielewski:

> Henrik Zagerholm wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure this can be done with a VFS module.
>> I couldn't say exactly which one though.
>
> I guess there is no such VFS module :)

OK, but as he also asked for deleted recycle support, I'm about 50%
correct as there is a recycle VFS module :)

But wouldn't it be possible to write a version control VFS module?

That intercept saves of existing files and saves the old one with a
different name?

I might be really wrong here :)

> Another possibility would be to use some FUSE filesystem on a Samba
> server, and then make a share out of it.

That would be a good alternative if it is possible to replace the
filesystem used. =)
> Take a look at this page:
>
> http://fuse.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/FileSystems
>
> and there look for:
>
> User-level Versioning File System
>
> Name: Wayback
>
> Homepage: http://wayback.sourceforge.net/
>
> Description
>     When you use a Wayback file system, old versions of files are
> never lost. No matter how much you change a file or directory,
> everything is always kept in a versioning file so that you never
> lose important data. Wayback provides the ability to remount any
> already mounted file system with versioning support under a
> different directory.
>

> I didn't test it personally, but we'll all curious if you do :)
>
> Let us know how it works then of course, it's an interesting topic.
>

> --
> Tomasz Chmielewski
>
> Software deployment with Samba
> http://wpkg.org