[Samba] Linux-to-Linux Samba Migration

Tom Smith tom71713-samba at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 28 18:57:41 GMT 2006

I'm working on migrating from Mandrake 10.0 to Ubuntu 5.10. The last,
and probably most important, service to be moved is Samba...

The setup is fairly simple, here is is:

- Mandrake Linux 10.0
- Samba 3.0.10

Here's the "global" Samba configuration of my server:

[global]
        workgroup = <workgroup name>
        server string = <string>
        passdb backend = tdbsam:/etc/samba/passdb.tdb
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        unix password sync = Yes
        time server = Yes
        load printers = No
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u
        delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r %u
        add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
        delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
        add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G %g %u
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false -d /dev/null %u
        logon script = scripts\%U.bat
        logon drive = H:
        logon home = \\%N\%U\profile.w98
        domain logons = Yes
        wins support = Yes
        ldap ssl = no
        idmap uid = 15000-20000
        idmap gid = 15000-20000
        admin users = root, tom
        create mask = 0770
        directory mask = 0770
        veto oplock files = /*.xls/

Transferring the files and the associated shares is the easy part. What
I'm concerned about is getting the domain and user/group information to
transfer without having to reconfigure all of the workstations or all of
the user/group accounts on the new server.

I looked to see if I could find such a guide for doing this but wasn't
able to--not sure if maybe I'm searching for the wrong terms or whatnot.

Any suggestions offered and/or pointers to documentation would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

~ Tom