[Samba] Domain Browsing broken after upgrade from 3.0.10 -> 3.0.21

George Wolanin george.wolanin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 15:20:40 GMT 2006

Or maybe it was the upgrade from FC2 -> FC4..........

I recently was running a FC2 Samba PDC and OpenLDAP, using Samba-3.0.10.

After I upgraded the server from FC2 to FC4 samba was broken and
wouldn't load because it was complaining about a library file not
existing.  (libldap.so.2) I believe.. Sure enough it wasn't there.  So
I had to recompile Samba 3.0.10 again.  Well the compile failed for
3.0.10 with the following error
----------------------------------snip-----------------------------------------------
./configure --prefix=/opt/samba-3.0.10 --with-ldapsam
----------------------------------snip-----------------------------------------------
# make
Using FLAGS =  -O  -Iinclude -I/usr/src/samba-3.0.10/source/include
-I/usr/src/samba-3.0.10/source/ubiqx
-I/usr/src/samba-3.0.10/source/smbwrapper  -I. -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_GNU_SOURCE -I/usr/src/samba-3.0.10/source
      LIBS = -lcrypt -lresolv -lnsl -ldl
      LDSHFLAGS = -shared -Wl,-Bsymbolic
      LDFLAGS =
Compiling dynconfig.c
In file included from include/smb.h:1679,
                 from include/includes.h:819,
                 from dynconfig.c:21:
include/popt_common.h:25: error: array type has incomplete element type
include/popt_common.h:26: error: array type has incomplete element type
include/popt_common.h:27: error: array type has incomplete element type
include/popt_common.h:28: error: array type has incomplete element type
----------------------------------snip-----------------------------------------------

So i downloaded the latest version of samba, 3.0.21c and it compiled
just fine but when i started the SMB server, I wasn't able to browse
the servers within the domain.  They just wouldn't show up.  What I do
in my WinXP pro clients is click:

Start->My Network Places->Entire Network->Microsoft Windows Network->BUNSIZE

I see the BUNSIZE domain, but as soon as I click BUNSIZE I get a blank
screen.  In version 3.0.10 I used to see my two servers, OSCAR &
HEFE-WEZIEN

However, when I put in the Exploder address bar, \\OSCAR &
\\HEFE-WEIZEN, I am able to browse those servers.  They just aren't
showing up in the Domain view.

Is there some kind of special upgrade procedure that I was supposed to
follow to maybe update the secret.tdb or is it just as easy as
creating a new one?

Also, when I try to browse the domain ON the FC4 server, I am unable
to see it and the servers.  So this just doesn't seem to be a Winblows
issue.

All firewalls are off in the server.

I am wondering if FC4 has some hidden security features that I am not aware of..

----------------------------------smb.conf-----------------------------------------------
[global]
        ; unix charset = LOCALE
        netbios name = OSCAR
        workgroup = BUNSIZE
        server string = Primary Domain Controller
        ; interfaces = eth0, lo

        remote announce = 135.33.39.255
        use sendfile = no

        ; bind interfaces only = Yes
        passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://127.0.0.1
        ; username map = /opt/samba/private/smbusers
        log level = 6
        syslog = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m
        max log size = 50
        smb ports = 139 445
        ; name resolve order = wins bcast hosts

        time server = Yes
        add user script = /opt/samba/sbin/smbldap-useradd -a -m %u
        delete user script = /opt/samba/sbin/smbldap-userdel %u
        add group script = /opt/samba/sbin/smbldap-groupadd -p %g
        delete group script = /opt/samba/sbin/smbldap-groupdel %g
        add user to group script = /opt/samba/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -m %u %g
        delete user from group script =
/opt/samba/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -x %u %g
        set primary group script = /opt/samba/sbin/smbldap-usermod -g %g %u
        add machine script = /opt/samba/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w %u
        logon script = scripts\logon.bat
        logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
        logon drive = X:

        domain logons = yes
        os level = 255
        preferred master = yes
        domain master = yes
        security = user
        local master = yes
        wins support = yes
        browseable = yes

        ldap suffix = dc=xx,dc=xxx,dc=com
        ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
        ldap user suffix = ou=Pee
        ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
        ldap idmap suffix = ou=Users
        ldap admin dn = cn=Manager,dc=xx,dc=xx,dc=com
        idmap backend = ldap:ldap://127.0.0.1
        idmap uid = 10000-20000
        idmap gid = 10000-20000

        # printer configuration
        load printers = Yes
        printing = cups
        printcap name = cups
        guest account = nobody

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

-G