[Samba] samba - vmware - strange access problem

Ruben Jenster rjenster at arcor.de
Mon Mar 27 20:04:32 GMT 2006

Hi,

I run samba, version 3.0.21b   for data exchange between windows in vmware and
the linux host (gentoo).

Notice:
>  Samba was compiled without: -acl -async -automount -cups -doc -examples
> -kerberos -ldap -ldapsam -libclamav -mysql -oav -pam -postgres -python
> -quotas -readline (-selinux) -swat -syslog -winbind -xml -xml2

From time to I can't access my local samba share in
the virtual machine anymore, usually this happends after having
suspended/hibernated the system.

I noticed when browsing the samba share from within linux with th konqueror
there is a strange file (only visibible within samba), with the name:

 _JWYWA~R

It seems to be binary, don't know whether it contains sensible information so
here is some readable text from the file

Code:
  local/thinkpad:/tmp/.ICE-unix/dcop[...]

 When I delete this file and restart vmware player I can access my share
again.  Where does this file come from? Is this a lock file from samba?

Any help appreciated.

 Regards,
 Ruben