[Samba] Samba-LDAP not quite working - help!

Stéphane Purnelle stephane.purnelle at tiscali.be
Mon Mar 27 19:13:32 GMT 2006

This howto contain some error I think, before truy a smbpasswd, Samba
must have the information
what user must I use to connect to LDAP, this question is answered
with the ldap admin dn parameter in smb.conf.  If there a user, there
a password.  For specifye the password, you must you the commande
smbpasswd -w xxxx (xxxx = the passwd of the user)

ATTENTION : in your slapd.conf, only admin can write.  If you want to
use other ldap user, you must modify you slapd.conf

Gary Dale a écrit :
> [...]
>>
>>     add these line before the database definition
>>     TLSCACertificateFile /etc/ldap/ssl/ldap-server.pem
>>     TLSCertificateFile /etc/ldap/ssl/ldap-server.pem
>>     TLSCertificateKeyFile /etc/ldap/ssl/ldap-server.pem
>>
>> Now its time for the ldap database configuration for samba
>>
>> example of the /etc/slapd.conf    ( database 1 configuration )
>> #######################################################################
>>
>> # Specific Directives for database #1, of type bdb:
>> # Database specific directives apply to this databasse until another
>> # 'database' directive occurs
>> database        bdb
>>
>> # The base of your directory in database #1
>> suffix          "dc=internal,dc=yourdomain,dc=tld"
>>
>> rootdn          "cn=admin,dc=rotterdam,dc=bazuin,dc=nl"
>> rootpw          {MD5}fsadsdafasfaewfw
>>   ## create the rootpw   ## echo rootpw  `slappasswd -h {Md5}` >>
>> /etc/ldap/slapd.conf
>>
>> # Where the database file are physically stored for database #1
>> directory       "/var/lib/ldap"
>>
>> # Indexing options for database #1
>> ### !!!!! Always run slapindex(8) after changing indices!!!!!!
>> ### and first STOP the LDAP SERVER  ( /etc/init.d/slapd stop )
>> index           objectClass,uidNumber,gidNumber eq
>> index           cn,sn,uid,displayName           pres,eq,sub
>> index           memberUid,mail,givenname        eq,subinitial
>> index           sambaSID,sambaPrimaryGroupSID,sambaDomainName, eq
>> ## default index
>> index           default eq
>>
>> # Save the time that the entry gets modified, for database #1
>> lastmod         on
>>
>> # Where to store the replica logs for database #1
>> replogfile    /var/lib/ldap/replog
>> # The userPassword by default can be changed
>> # by the entry owning it if they are authenticated.
>> # Others should not be able to see it, except the
>> # admin entry below
>> # These access lines apply to database #1 only
>> access to attrs=userPassword
>>        by dn="cn=admin,dc=internal,dc=yourdomain,dc=tld" write
>>        by anonymous auth
>>        by self write
>>        by * none
>>

>> # Ensure read access to the base for things like
>> # supportedSASLMechanisms.  Without this you may
>> # have problems with SASL not knowing what
>> # mechanisms are available and the like.
>> # Note that this is covered by the 'access to *'
>> # ACL below too but if you change that as people
>> # are wont to do you'll still need this if you
>> # want SASL (and possible other things) to work
>> # happily.
>> access to dn.base="" by * read
>>
>> # The admin dn has full write access, everyone else
>> # can read everything.
>> access to *
>>        by dn="cn=admin,dc=internal,dc=yourdomain,dc=tld" write
>>        by * read
>>
>> # samba access list
>> include /etc/ldap/samba-access.conf
>>
>> Example of the /etc/samba-access.conf    ( database 1 configuration )

attrs=userPassword,sambaNTPassword,sambaLMPassword,sambaPwdLastSet,sambaPwdM

>> ustChange
>>    by dn="cn=admin,dc=internal,dc=yourdomain,dc=tld" write
>>    by anonymous auth
>>    by self write
>>    by * none
>>
>> access to attrs=loginShell
>>    by dn="cn=admin,dc=internal,dc=yourdomain,dc=tld" write
>>    by * none
>>
>> access to

attrs=description,telephoneNumber,roomNumber,homePhone,gecos,cn,sn,givenname

http://switch.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/openantivirus/samba-vscan-0.3.6

> [...]
>> share
>> :
>>     vfs object = vscan-clamav
>>     vscan-clamav: config-file = /etc/samba/samba-vscan-clamav.conf
>>
>>     An example:
>>     [public]
>>     comment = Public Directory
>>     path = /home/public
>>     vfs object = vscan-clamav
>>     vscan-clamav: config-file = /etc/samba/samba-vscan-clamav.conf
>>
>>     !!! BEWARE !!!! if samba upgrade to a higer version you MUST
>> recompile
>>     your samba-vscan.  set samba to hold for no upgrade.
>>
>>     echo packagename hold | dpkg --set-selections     set to hold
>>     echo packagename install | dpkg --set-selections  set to install
>> 9.0 Recycle bin on samba
>> 9.1 Recycle bin configuration
>>
>>     configure samba for using the recycle bin.
>>     I made my manager happy with this.
>>
>>     create a file in /etc/samba
>>     and fill it with the options below.
>>
>>     /etc/samba/samba-recycle.conf
>>
>>     name = .recycle
>>     mode = KEEP_DIRECTORIES|VERSIONS|TOUCH
>>     maxsize = 0
>>     exclude = *.tmp|*.temp|*.o|*.obj|~$*|*.~??|~*.tmp
>>     excludedir = /tmp|/temp|/cache
>>     noversions = *.doc|*.xls|*.ppt
>>
>>     add this to you share, same as vscan.
>>
>>     vfs object = recycle
>>     recycle: config-files = /etc/samba/samba-recycle.conf
>>
>>     create a recycle bin directorie and hide it for the users.
>>
>>     I created .recycle  this way ( because of the dot) users don't see
>> this
>>     IF.. you don't set you explorer to view hidden files.
>>
>> restart samba and your done.
>>
>> You are ready to use your samba server.
>>

>> Appendix 1 (complex samba-access.conf ) SETUP WITH DSA USERS
>> see http://www.idealx.org/prj/samba/smbldap-howto.en.html
>> #### users can authenticate and change their password
>> #access to

attrs=userPassword,sambaNTPassword,sambaLMPassword,sambaPwdLastSet,sambaPwdM

>> ustChange
>> #      by dn="cn=samba,ou=DSA,dc=internal,dc=yourdomain,dc=tld" write
>> #      by
>> dn="cn=smbldap-tools,ou=DSA,dc=internal,dc=yourdomain,dc=tld"
>> write
>> #      by dn="cn=nssldap,ou=DSA,dc=internal,dc=yourdomain,dc=tld"
>> write
>> #      by self write
>> #      by anonymous auth
>> #      by * none
>> # some attributes need to be readable anonymously so that 'id user'
>> can
>> answer correctly
>> ##access to
>> attrs=objectClass,entry,homeDirectory,uid,uidNumber,gidNumber,memberUid
>>
>> #      by dn="cn=samba,ou=DSA,dc=internal,dc=yourdomain,dc=tld" write
>> #      by
>> dn="cn=smbldap-tools,ou=DSA,dc=internal,dc=yourdomain,dc=tld"
>> write
>> #      by * read
>> # somme attributes can be writable by users themselves

attrs=description,telephoneNumber,roomNumber,homePhone,loginShell,gecos,cn,s

>> n,givenname
>> #      by dn="cn=samba,ou=DSA,dc=internal,dc=yourdomain,dc=tld" write
>> #      by
>> dn="cn=smbldap-tools,ou=DSA,dc=internal,dc=yourdomain,dc=tld"
>> write
>> #      by self write
>> #      by * read
>> ## some attributes need to be writable for samba
>> #access to

attrs=cn,sambaLMPassword,sambaNTPassword,sambaPwdLastSet,sambaLogonTime,samb

aLogoffTime,sambaKickoffTime,sambaPwdCanChange,sambaPwdMustChange,sambaAcctF

lags,displayName,sambaHomePath,sambaHomeDrive,sambaLogonScript,sambaProfileP

ath,description,sambaUserWorkstations,sambaPrimaryGroupSID,sambaDomainName,s

ambaMungedDial,sambaBadPasswordCount,sambaBadPasswordTime,sambaPasswordHisto

ry,sambaLogonHours,sambaSID,sambaSIDList,sambaTrustFlags,sambaGroupType,samb

aNextRid,sambaNextGroupRid,sambaNextUserRid,sambaAlgorithmicRidBase,sambaSha

reName,sambaOptionName,sambaBoolOption,sambaIntegerOption,sambaStringOption,

> [...]
>> # and a nice howto for apt-pinning for beginners.
>> # http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html
>> #-----------------------------------------------------------------
>> #-----------------------------------------------------------------
>> # Stable  PIN 990    PRODUCTION TREE
>> deb ftp://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
>> deb-src ftp://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
>> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
>> # Stable Security updates deb http://security.debian.org/
>> stable/updates main contrib non-free
>> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib
>> non-free
>> #------------------------------------------------------------------
>> ## Debian VOLATILE , used for clamav  PINNED 990
>> deb http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian-volatile sarge/volatile main
>> #-----------------------------------------------------------------
>> #-----------------------------------------------------------------
>> #         WARNING USE BELOW AT OWN RISK
>> # Testing  ( PIN 500 )
>> #deb ftp://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
>> #deb-src ftp://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
>> #deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
>> # Testing Security updates #deb http://security.debian.org/
>> testing/updates main contrib non-free
>> #deb-src http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib
>> non-free
>> #-----------------------------------------------------------------
>> #-----------------------------------------------------------------
>> #         WARNING USE BELOW AT OWN RISK
>> # Unstable ( PIN 050 )
>> #deb ftp://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
>> #deb-src http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib
>> non-free
>> #deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
>> # unstable Security updates #deb http://security.debian.org/
>> unstable/updates main contrib non-free
>> #deb-src http://security.debian.org/ unstable/updates main contrib
>> non-free
>> #-----------------------------------------------------------------
>> #-----------------------------------------------------------------
>> ####    BACKPORTS to STABLE ( Debian Sarge 3.1r0 )
>> ## Laatest Samba from samba.org #deb
>> http://us4.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/Debian sarge samba
>> #deb-src http://us2.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/Debian
>> sarge samba

>> ## MPEG/AVI addons +W32CODECS With MPlayer
>> #deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ sarge main
>> ## www.dotdeb.org, updated php4/php5 mysql-41 mysql-50 qmail clamav
>> etc etc.
>> ## check the site for the packages list. if you want only 1 package (

- --
Stéphane Purnelle <stephane.purnelle at tiscali.be>
Site Web : http://www.linuxplusvalue.be