[Samba] Authentication failing

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Mon Mar 27 17:54:46 GMT 2006

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Matt Smith wrote:

> ACK! Ok this morning for some strange reason when trying to resolve my
> samba server authentication fails ... it can ping the host name and it
> tries to connect but authentication fails, if I connect to the IP all
> works fine, this only started happening this AM any ideas?
>

> My enviro is a win2k3 AD domain and a samba file server ...
>
> everything seems to run fine except for when users try to map to
> machinename\share it fails, but works with ip_address\share

Sounds like a WINS name resolution problem.  We had an issue like this
recently and found out that the WINS server listed in smb.conf was not
running (service did not start after a power outage).  Now, we list both
our WINS servers in case one fails.  :)

You may need to restart Samba (or at least nmbd) if you change WINS
settings, in order for Samba to register its name with the new server(s).

 	Andy