[Samba] cannot see the samba server when browsing

Robert Mortimer rmortimer at bluechiptechnology.co.uk
Mon Mar 27 15:03:45 GMT 2006

Name resolution for windows machines is by WINS or Broadcast. Broadcast is
not going to like the firewall. Wins could be configured if you look up the
ports to allow and run the SAMBA wins server on the linux machine. My only
question is what do you not trust on your local network (why the firewall?)

Robert