[Samba] Why does Samba need a password and Windows doesn't

Robert Mortimer rmortimer at bluechiptechnology.co.uk
Mon Mar 27 08:23:49 GMT 2006

A windows machine will try the current logged on user's credentials against
any share thrown at it (often with-out domain or workgroup checks). It can
do this because only one active logged on user is permitted at any one time
and the SMB protocol is it's native protocol. Linux can have multiple active
users on different screens (virtual or real). You can overcome this by
mounting the Windows share automatically in your user's home directory using
SMB mount. Unix to Unix you can use NFS and this allows you the integration
of permissions enjoyed by windows/SMB. Alternatively if you are running a
small private network you can look at allowing guest accounts to remove
logon requirements.