[Samba] Linux box talks to XP Pro, XP Pro permissions deniedon LinuxBox

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Mar 25 18:18:03 GMT 2006

Let's keep this on list please...

See if you can connect as samba user from samba box...

smbclient -L WHATEVER_YOUR_SERVER_NAME -U Administrator

smbclient -L WHATEVER_YOUR_SERVER_NAME -U Michael

but note - casing is rather odd and might be your problem. UNIX is case
sensitive but Windows/Samba is not case sensitive...

therefore Samba will see 'Michael' as 'michael' and 'Administrator' as
'administrator' and you don't have a UNIX user 'michael' or
'administrator' and thus, you are setting things up to fail.

Make all your UNIX/Linux users lower case (the logical easy thing to do)
or you can remap them using smbusers (totally unlogical way to do
things).

Craig