[Samba] Samba PDC/Windows BDC domain sync

Doug VanLeuven roamdad at sonic.net
Fri Mar 24 00:36:20 GMT 2006

James F. Hranicky wrote:
> On Thursday 23 March 2006 13:09, Doug VanLeuven wrote:
>
>> Hi James,
>> Would you mind letting us know what product requires to be installed
>> on a domain controller?  I, for one, would like to shy away from ever
>> evaluating their product.
>
> Desktop Authority:
>
>     http://downloads.cybis.co.uk/scriptlogic/Desktop_Authority_7_Release_Notes.pdf
>
> E-Policy Orchestrator
>
>     https://delta.ist.utl.pt/bin_software/ePO_36_InstallationGuide_EN.pdf
>
> Unless I'm mistaken, these both require running on a domain controller of
> some kind.

Hi Jim,
Actually, both strongly recommend -not- installing on a domain controller.
I can see where it used to be a requirement, but they advise member servers now.
Desktop Authority page 2 and ePolicy page 6.

Scriptlogic supports NT40 domains and should work on a 2000SP2 or greater
member server.  ePolicy just states it needs to be installed on windows 2000SP3
or later including 2003 Web server (which would never be a PDC).  They just want
a trust relationship with the PDC although I don't see whether or not
NT style PDC is supported.

I'd check with the vendors, but you may be able to accommodate samba3 as a
NT40 style PDC with both those products.  If ePolicy is tightly integrated to AD,
I don't think that will be supported till samba4.

Regards, Doug