[Samba] Samba LDAP rootpw error

Matt Richards matt at mattstone.net
Thu Mar 23 23:01:57 GMT 2006

> I was following the howto below (originally posted on this list as BIG
> Samba howto for debian only.) to see if I could get my not-quite-working
> Samba 3.0.14a (debian) server fully working and able to handle my Linux
> logins too. The problem I'm having with my Samba setup is that I can't
> change user passwords except through Swat. Users can't change them from
> their machines using the Windows password change - but they are notified
> to change them by when they expire.
>
> Anyway, my attempts to follow the howto hit a roadblock at "3 LDAP
> Server configuration". Neither slapindex nor slapd will run. It looks
> like it doesn't like something about my root password, but I'm not sure
> what it wants (I'm no expert on LDAP).  :)
>
> Slapindex complains "bad configuration file". Slapd gives the more
> detailed:
>    line 65 (rootpw ***)
>    /etc/ldap/slapd.conf: line 65: rootpw can only be set when rootdn is
> under suffix
>
> I've attached my slapd.conf file if that is of any assistance. Any help
> will be greatly appreciated.
>

> Louis van Belle wrote:

[..snip..]

humm well looking at the config file the first thing that i notice is this

# The base of your directory in database #1
suffix          "dc=rahim-dale,dc=org"
rootdn                "cn=admin,dc=toronto,dc=ontario,dc=ca"

your root dn isn't in the base of your ldap tree, this should probuly be
something like ...

suffix          "dc=rahim-dale,dc=org"
rootdn                "cn=admin,dc=rahim-dale,dc=org"

try it n let us know what happens :).

HTH

Matt.