[Samba] Samba Winbind wbinfo -u fails with "Error looking up domainusers"

Joost Kraaijeveld J.Kraaijeveld at Askesis.nl
Wed Mar 22 14:32:37 GMT 2006

> After functioning correctly for more than 6 months suddenly
> Samba died : the users and usergroups are not recognized
> anymore. Restarting the Windows 2000 ADS (mixed mode) server
> and/or the Debian Samba server does not help. I even re-added the
> server to the domain:
>
> net rpc join -U Administrator reports a sucessful join.
> Active Directory shows the Debian server's computer account wbinfo -t
> reports sucess wbinfo -g reports BuiltIn groups only
> wbinfo -u reports ""Error looking up domain users"
>
> I have followed all the steps in "chapter 12.
> Troubleshooting" of "Using Samba", but no solution.

To make it even more curious: wbinfo -a user%password responds with:

plaintext password authentication succeeded
challenge/response password authentication succeeded

Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.
Molukkenstraat 14