[Samba] Samba/LDAP Domains and multiple File Servers

Matt Ingram mingram at cbnco.com
Tue Mar 21 14:26:58 GMT 2006

Hi All,

I have a domain setup soon to go into production.  We have 3 buildings,
each containing a fileserver for that buildings users (home drives/share
drives).   I've been using the smbldap-tools on the PDC, which is all
working fine.  Is it possible to join another server to the domain, also
using the smbldap-tools, with a different config, that will setup a
users home drive, etc on that server, or will a setup like this need to
be done manually?   I have a test BDC that I've been playing with trying
to do this, but if I do smbldap-useradd from the BDC the user can't get
logged on with an error message "A device attached to the system is not
functioning" on the windows client (the account does get setup in
ldap).  In the smbldap-tools config I used the SID of the BDC, which I'm
guessing might be my problem... should I change that to the SID of the PDC?

Also, with a samba/ldap domains setup - how can I allow a user to have
shell access on one server on the domain, but not on the other servers
on the domain?  Can this be done through the domain/ldap, or in this
scenario will shell logons have to be managed locally on the individual
servers ?

Thanks,

Matt.

--