[Samba] NTUSER.DAT

James Taylor jtaylor at laszlosystems.com
Mon Mar 20 19:23:17 GMT 2006

NTUSER.DAT is the running registry file for the user logged onto the
machine. Each user instance creates a new NTUSER.DAT file located in the
profile directory.  While the user is logged into the machine you will NOT
be able to copy this file, nor will you be able to copy it after logging the
user off the machine (if administrator) since the file will still be locked.
So what to do,

I would assume you are wanting to create a form of roaming profile for your
Administrator account...

1 - Create a new administrator user on the local machine for the server,
make sure this user is a member of the administrator group.

2 - Reboot the server and log on as your new local admin user.

3 - At this point in time you can access the c:\Documents and
Settings\%username% that you want and you should be able to copy all
contents of the users profile including NTUSER.DAT file.

There are tools: USMT (User State Migration Tool) and FSTW (Files and
Settings Transfer Wizard) from Microsoft that you can use.  Check out the
Resource Kit for the OS you are using.  Great stuff.

James