[Samba] samba can't lookup window 2000 domain controller's user successfully

Vinson vinsonho19820306 at yahoo.com.hk
Mon Mar 20 14:10:27 GMT 2006

I found the solution for three weeks, but i really do not know why samba
can't join win 2000 domain controller, please help!!!

The main point is that when i type the command "wbinfo -u", it show that
"Error looking up domain users" and there is a error log in window 2000
server as follow:

source: netlogon
event id: 5723
The session setup from the computer SERVER02 failed because there is no
trust account in the security database for this computer. The name of the
account referenced in the security database is SERVER02$.

I am using Debain, here is my full steps:

1. type the command apt-get install samba winbind

2. change /etc/nsswitch.conf as follow:
    -passwd: files winbind
    -shadow: files
    -group: files winbind

3. type the command /sbin/ldconfig -v | grep winbind
    result: libnss_winbind.so -> libnss_winbind.so.2

4. set the smb.conf as follow:

[global]
workgroup = DOMAIN
#server string = Debian SMB3 Server
netbios name = SERVER02
dos charset = CP950
unix charset = UTF-8
display charset = UTF-8
name resolve order = wins bcast hosts
wins server = 192.168.0.101
dns proxy = no

log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
syslog = 0

security = DOMAIN
encrypt passwords = true
password server = 192.168.0.101
#pssword server = *

domain master = no
local master = no
preferred master = no
os level = 0

winbind separator = |
idmap uid = 10000-20000
idmap gid = 10000-20000
winbind use default domain = yes
winbind enum users = no
winbind enum groups = no
template homedir = /home/winnt/%D/%U
template shell = /bin/bash

5. type the command net rpc join -S WS01 -U Administrator
    type password
    result: Joined domain DOMAIN

6. type the command /etc/init.d/winbind start

when type the command wbinfo -t
result: checking the trust secret via RPC calls succeeded

when type the command wbinfo -p
result: Ping to winbindd succeeded on fd 4

when type the command wbinfo -u
result: Error looking up domain users