[Samba] RH9 and samba-3.0.21c-1

Eric quack322 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 20 05:15:58 GMT 2006

On my RH9 server, I upgraded samba the original samba version to the newest 3.0.21c-1 version using the binary RPM's available from the website. First I uninstalled the old rpm then I installed the new one. I have a few problems starting and stopping the daemons by /etc/init.s/smb

1) When I run /etc/init.d/smb stop , it gives me the message
Shutting down SMB services: /etc/init.d/smb: line 38: kill: (13339) - No such process
[ OK ]
( of course the process id changes each time )
2) After it "has" stopped , /etc/init.d/smb status reports:
smbd dead but pid file exists
nmbd dead but pid file exists

I noticed that these scripts have changed from the 2.2.X but I would like to know If this is a problem and how do I fix it.