[Samba] Re: security=share, who needs it ?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Mar 17 18:01:22 GMT 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 11:53 -0600, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Craig White wrote:
>
> > I can only think of one reason...I ran into that last night on
> > Fedora-list at redhat.com
> >
> > User was connecting an old DOS client system to samba and had to use
> > 'security = share'
>
> Hey Craig,
>
> I'd have to see some evidence here.  My experience is that the
> DOS Network client (even the basic redirector) works with
> user mode security.  I'm not aware of a modern (still in use)
> client that doesn't support user mode security at all.

----
not from me - I am not using it. The questioner on fedora list got what
he wanted working once he switched to share mode and I was willing to
let it go as that made him happy and I have little to no recollection of
the DOS Network client at all. Your anticipation that the DOS client can
be happy in user mode is probably correct...it was difficult to guide
him on a client that I can't possibly see.

Craig