[Samba] SAMBA+LDAP in a Workgroup

James Taylor jtaylor at laszlosystems.com
Fri Mar 17 00:33:01 GMT 2006

Tom,

Personally I believe LDAP is an excellent backend database for Samba,
especially if you are looking for Single-Sign-On capabilities.  PC's do not
have to join the Samba Domain in order to still gain domain access, however
users will be prompted for username and password when accessing a share for
your Samba Domain.  One way around this is to use the same username and
password for your LDAP database as you do currently for their machine logon
accounts.

Also, in order to find samba shares on Samba/LDAP servers with a different
domain your current WINS servers should be able to find the new domain and
list it within your Network List so you should be able to browse to them.
Otherwise you can use DNS.

Good Luck!

James