[Samba] smb.conf options help

Gururajan Ramachandran gramacha at nyx.net
Thu Mar 16 18:49:03 GMT 2006

I am using smbpasswd method.

For users and groups in my smb.conf file, I have the following options:

add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m '%u'
delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r '%u'
add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd '%g'
delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel '%g'
add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G '%g' '%u'

When I attempt to add users with the SRVTOOLS UsrMgr.exe I get a "group
does not exist message". Also, I only see the mapped ntgroups in the group
list. I do not see the unix groups in the list. The attempt to add groups
to the user fails.

I looked in the Terpstra books but do not see any such options such as
"add group modify script" or "add user modify script" so I assume these do
not exist.

Are there any options I am not using that is causing this failure?

Anybody else out there using SRVTOOLS on a XP client to a Samba3 (3.0.20b)
with smbpasswd as the authentication mode successfully?

Thanks,

Guru