[Samba] smbclient segfault with mulicast DNS (mdns) enabled

Andreas Ntaflos daff at dword.org
Thu Mar 16 13:21:59 GMT 2006

Hello list,

Using Samba-3.0.21c (with these USE flags: cups doc postgres python xml
xml2) as a standalone server on Gentoo Linux in a small LAN.

I noticed the following: when using mutlicast DNS (mdns, for example to
make use of zeroconf [1] in a network with Macs and Linux and Windows
machines) with a resolver like Apple's mDNSResponder, avahi [3] or a
client like nss-mdns [2] one has to have an mdns entry
in /etc/nsswitch.conf like this:

	hosts: files mdns dns

or

	hosts: files mdns4 dns

in order to be able to resolve a .local. domain.

This seems to disturb Samba severely when trying to resolve NetBIOS
names. It doesn't matter whether there actually is an mdns daemon
running, just the presence of the 'mdns' entry in /etc/nsswitch.conf
causes a segmentation fault when using smbclient, like this:

> smbclient \\\\windows-pc\\share
Segmentation fault
> smbclient \\\\192.168.1.100\\share
Password:

As you can see the first call segfaults, the second doesn't, apparently
because nmbd doesn't need to resolve the name.

I'd like to attach a backtrace of the segfault but there seem to be no
useful debug symbols available for that. I could swear I saw a
backtrace in one of the Samba log files but I can't seem to find it
again.

I really don't think smbclient should behave like this, surely this is a
bug? A known issue? I didn't find it filed on Samba's Bugzilla, should
I file it?

Andreas

[1] http://www.zeroconf.org/
[2] http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/nss-mdns/#overview