[Samba] Determining the samba configuration file in use by a running smbd.

Adam McLean adammclean at ca.ibm.com
Tue Mar 14 21:18:56 GMT 2006

Hello All,

I've tried some self service methods to find this information, but haven't
had much luck unfortunately.  My search terms produced a lot of unrelated
material.

We have a requirement for automated filesystem permission checking on the
smb.conf file to assure it is not too permissive.  The location of this
file can vary wildly depending on who compiled the package (talking about
individuals and not pre-packaged from vendors).  What I'm seeking is a way
to determine the configuration file that was used by smbd when it was
invoked.  This would need to be non-invasive (not interrupt any
connections, or restart the daemon).

A base flow of what we're after:
1) Check port 138 for a listener.
2) Do [something] to determine the location of the smb.conf file that smbd
was invoked with.
3) Check the permissions on the smb.conf file found in step 2.

Can anyone point me to the [something] that will determine this for us?

Thanks!
Adam McLean.