[Samba] samba server only accessiblie via ip address and not via dns name

Frederick C. Damen fred at damen.org
Wed Mar 15 18:02:36 GMT 2006

I had what appears to be the same problem.  The samba server would not show up in the
'My Network Places' and if I access the share with //lmhostname/share or \\lmhostname\share
(depending on client OS) I would get access denied, or something similiar.  Accessing
the share with \\ipaddress\share worked fine.

I tried everything that I could find, even posting to this list, and nothing worked.
Shortly after starting windbindd it started to work, the samba server showed up in
'My network places' and I could access the share with the lmhostname.  The fix may have
been windbind or some delayed effect of the many other things that I had tried.
I have not seen any reference to needing to run windbind in the simple case of serving
unix home accounts where they are all in /etc/passwd.

Hope this help,

Fred