[Samba] New ACL Users disapear when added

Adam Engel adamengel at specializedbusinesssoftware.com
Tue Mar 14 16:05:46 GMT 2006

Hey all,

CentOS 4.2
Kernel 2.6.9-34
samba-3.0.21c-1  Compiled from source rpm --with-acl-support

I am trying to set up a share to enable ACLs so I can allow access to
more then one group / user access to it with different settings, a
standard procedure Im sure. I have confirmed POSIX acl is compiled in
the kernel and am mounting the partition with acl support in fstab.

When I attempt to add a user to the Security tab, I enter in the object
name (user name in the domain) and then click 'OK'. I see the User name
in the list, and select the appropriate permissions. However when I
click 'Add', the user name dissapears.

I have no extra acls set from the setfacl command because I could not
get this to work either to allow more users to have access to the share
and its files.

Below is my share definition:

[Users]
  comment = User Directories
  path = /home/disk1/Users
  nt acl support = true
  browseable = yes
  writable = yes
#;  public = yes
  create mode = 770
  directory mode = 770
  force group = users
  security mask = 0770
  directory security mask = 0770
  admin users = administrator

Is there a configuration setting that I am missing?

Thanks in advance!

Adam