[Samba] Limit of group membership for a user?

Jay Fenlason fenlason at redhat.com
Tue Mar 14 02:32:10 GMT 2006

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 07:09:51PM -0500, Cybionet wrote:
> Greeting all,
>
> Sorry, I previously send my message in a wrong topic. I have a strange
> problem between Samba and OPenLDAP. Here the version.
>
> Samba: 3.0.21
> OpenLDAP: 2.2.28
>
> Problem:
> My Windows user can login to the domaine by a Samba PDC, but when the
> user try to enter a sharing ressouces on the same server nothing append.
> This user have all the good permission.
>
> Solution:
> After some research (in samba log), I found that this user was in 76
> differents groups (Don?t ask why, it is a special case lol), and the
> fact is samba don?t seem to support this. If I remove the user of 12
> groups then samba authorise the user to access to share again.
>
> Question:
> My question is, why samba do not seem to support a user in 76 differents
> groups, but support 64?
>
> And yes I have the log and can reproduce this problem again .

You haven't said anything about which operating system you are using.
Different unix-like operating systems have different maximum numbers
of groups that a user can be a member of.  I would guess that the OS
that you are using has a 64-group limit.  Contact your operating
system vendor and find out.

			-- JF