[Samba] samba4wins - all ok but how to use nmblookup from my PDC?

simo idra at samba.org
Mon Mar 13 14:08:42 GMT 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 09:07 -0500, Pablo Chamorro C. wrote:
> I installed samba4wins on two of my Fedora Core 3 servers (from src rpm),
> on one PDC (samba 3.0.21c) and on one standalone server without samba, in
> order to test samba4wins.  I think I managed to install and to setup
> properly the software but it seems nmblookup is not working on the PDC
> samba:
>
> [user]$ nmblookup '*'
> querying * on 192.168.19.255
> name_query failed to find name *

Are you there is no firewall software blocking answers to the request ?

> >From any other linux, including the standalone machine nmblookup '*'
> works. I followed the instructions given on samba4wins-1.0.1-HOWTO.txt.
>
> On the other side, I am having similar samba4wins records both for user
> machines and for users!  Is this ok? Please look below.

Yes, workstations register the username with Netbios to be able, for
example, to receive messages directed to a username. This is also why
you should never name a workstation after the username, you may end up
in conflicts.

Netbios names can represent a number of things as they represent
services not merely machines. In a busy network you should find user
programs registering their own names sometimes too.

> 2. in the linux without samba: eth0: 192.168.19.7 ("standalone") and for
> samba4wins: 192.168.19.107 (standalone-wins)
>
> [globals]
>     netbios name = standalone-wins
>     workgroup = group
>     interfaces = 192.168.19.107
>     bind interfaces only = yes
>     log level = 4
>     nbtd:disable_broadcast = no

If this machine does not have samba, then you do not need to restirct
samba4wins to an alias, you can just use the primary interface.

The ip alias trick is used to let samba3 run it's own nmbd daemon on the
same address of smbd.

I'd make a network trace and see if the request goes out on the wire and
if any answer returns.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce