[Samba] Why do un-groupmap'ed Unix groups show up in Windows?

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Fri Mar 10 15:27:31 GMT 2006

Typical Linux Distros add all sorts of Unix groups to users when it creates them, like cdrom, floppy, dialout, audio, etc...

Logging in to the domain from Windows with an account that has such membership over on Linux... "ifmember.exe /list" shows all of those memberships. Why exactly? I would expect only the groups I did a
"net groupmap" on would be considered by Samba. Makes me wonder the real results of...

net groupmap add ntgroup=ntadmins unixgroup=ntadmins type=d

since groups I did not map show up on Windows.

?????

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems