[Samba] Samba profile problem after reinstall

Murat Tepegoz murat at mems.eee.metu.edu.tr
Thu Mar 9 21:39:55 GMT 2006

Hi all,
I am using samba as a PDC for more than 2.5 years, and I am very happy
with samba when I think old bad days dealing with MS servers. Whatever,
I recently got a problem. I was using Openbsd previously, and upgraded
to Debian 2 weeks ago. Everything was good, I recreated all the users.
However, due to a problem on the fresh server, I reinstalled everything.
I restored the users from the previously installed server. After
reinstallation, again everything was ok until  the users started to log
in to the domain.  I recognized that all the computers should be taken
to the domain again (although I had used the previous machine
passwords). That was not a big deal, I did it.

However, when a user logs in, his old profile cannot be loaded to the
computer.  It seems that it is copied to Documents and Setting folder,
however, the start menu is empty and profile cannot be uploaded to the
server.

There is no meaningful log on the server. Is there a log mechanism on
windows machine?

Anyone faced a similar question? Any suggestions?

Thanks