[Samba] how to manage 3000 Samba Connection

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Thu Mar 9 18:15:02 GMT 2006

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006, updatemyself . wrote:

> In my Network i have Only One Domain (Win2003)
> and all the windows client is accessing the samba share with out further
> authentication..
>
> to run the project smoothly.. i need all this as one domain.. the file
> permission and all happening through
> only windows.. all the volume's owner is "sysadmin" as that user.. i am
> managing the
> access control.. (security is also important for me)
>

> i know abt HA (heartbeat 2) and i used for fail over..
> my main target is.. load balance.... till i have 6 servers.. as file
> server.. fail over is only 2nd thing
> what u try to explain is not much clear for me..
> if u r able to point some document.. it will be a grate thing..
>
> Thanks a lot.. dude...
>
> i respect ur time also..
> jerrynikky.

You can do this in software with ipvs (as another person suggested) or buy
a hardware load balancer such as a Foundry Networks ServerIron.  We use a
ServerIronXL here for websites, ldap, and Citrix in the past.  It should
work fine for SMB as well.

ipvs will be more flexible and configurable, but a hardware load balancer
will probably be easier to setup and maintain.  Either solution should
work for you.

 	Andy