[Samba] Samba with nss/winbind AD authentication breaks su and passwd update

J S js.tech.mailer at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 23:19:19 GMT 2006

 I've built Samba 3.0.10 with Kerb ADS, NSS, Winbind and PAM support  on
Solaris 9 using gcc 3.3.2.

  I'm able to compile and install and authentication works fine - I can
query and authenticate with AD, but when I su, passwd or some other local
auth Solaris command I get the command core dumps or just fails.

nsswitch.conf:
passwd:     files winbind ldap
group:      files winbind ldap

-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other      87004 Dec 16 13:38
/usr/lib/libnss_winbind.so
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         26 Nov 30 15:46 libnss_winbind.so.1 ->
/usr/lib/libnss_winbind.so
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         26 Nov 30 15:46 libnss_winbind.so.2 ->
/usr/lib/libnss_winbind.so
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         26 Nov 30 15:46 nss_winbind.so.1 ->
/usr/lib/libnss_winbind.so
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         26 Nov 30 15:46 nss_winbind.so.2 ->
/usr/lib/libnss_winbind.so

I tried to get clever with nsswitch, and still got the same errors. :

#passwd:     files ldap winbind [NOTFOUND=return]
#passwd:     files ldap [SUCCESS=return] winbind
#group:      files ldap [SUCCESS=return] winbind

 The errors disappeared when I removed winbind entries from nsswitch.conf.
Any ideas?