[Samba] Samba PDC can't log into XP domain members

John Locke mail at freelock.com
Wed Mar 8 22:02:49 GMT 2006

Hi,

I've been supporting small businesses with Samba for quite a while, but
am just now venturing into Windows domains. I recently made a Samba
server in a small office a PDC, and successfully joined 5 Windows XP/2K
clients to the domain. Single-sign-on is working everywhere, and Samba
shares work as expected.

However, I can't successfully log into the Windows XP clients from other
computers on the network as anything other than guest. I get
"NT_ACCESS_DENIED" errors when I try to access a shared printer on one
computer. Another computer with a large hard drive acts as a backup
storage location, which works with anonymous login, but I can't seem to
log in with any domain credentials. So I can't secure it that well, and
I can't access the Windows directory, where I'm trying to snarf the
printer drivers ;-)

I'm trying to do this remotely, using SSH to the Samba PDC. Is there a
way I can push the appropriate permissions out to the Windows XP
workstations so that I can access their shares? I tried using the net
rpc group commands, but can't seem to list any groups, and when I
attempt to add a "Domain Admins" group it gives me
NT_STATUS_ALIAS_EXISTS. When I try to use net rpc group addmem, I get this:
> Could not lookup up group member DODD\john
> Could not add DODD\john to Domain Admins: NT_STATUS_NONE_MAPPED
How do I add myself to the Domain Admins group, and is that sufficient
to do what I'm trying to do?

Thanks,

--
John Locke
"Open Source Solutions for Small Business Problems"