[Samba] 1 byte writes

Thomas Limoncelli limoncelli at web.de
Wed Mar 8 19:17:14 GMT 2006

Jeremy,

Thanks for your continued support.

> Hmmm. Not sure. What application is doing this ?

As it's hard to get structured valid information from [our] users, I can
only guess it's a particular CAD application. (They're claiming that
"everything" runs slowly, but that's yet to be seen once this particular
issue is solved.)

> Your settings seem
> fine - the client should be using the allocation roundup size to
> extend, so should only by writing one byte per 1 meg, but it seems
> to be doing much smaller offsets than that. Try playing with the
> allocation roundup size parameter - make it larger and see what
> effect it has on the app.

How/when exactly is the allocation roundup size passed to the client
over the wire? I'd like to double-check with Ethereal that clients
receive the desired value.

> What filesystem are you using underneath Samba ?

XFS, kernel 2.6.11.4-21.11-smp from the latest SuSE 9.3 updates.

-TL