[Samba] Unable to join to domain: The username could not be found.

Hakan BAYINDIR acid-burn at myrealbox.com
Mon Mar 6 15:47:31 GMT 2006

Hi,

    This is my first post here, so if I make any mistakes, warnings are
always welcome. I'm working in an organization and we are migrating are
domain controllers from windows to linux. I'm trying to deploy a working
configuration of samba. Using openSuSE 10.0. I was following the Keith
Robertson's how-to from IBM-Developerworks but in the end; the finished
installation fails to work as expected.

    I can see the shares, log in with correct id's which are saved in
ldap, transfer files, share the same workgroup with supplying correct
username and password which is saved in ldap again. But when I try to
join the domain, windows system wants username and password. It refuses
it if I give wrong creds and if I give the true ones, refuses again with
"the user name could not be found"

    I've tried signorseal patch, configured local policy but no hopes.
Also samba config test and slaptest returns OK. Any help will be highly
appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    Hakan BAYINDIR