[Samba] write failure on smb mounted NAS partition

Georg Heidenreich Georg.Heidenreich at fujitsu-siemens.com
Mon Mar 6 09:03:17 GMT 2006

I have a Thecus NAS, which seems to be a samba server internally
# smbclient -L thecus :

Domain=[THECUS] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.14a]

My Workstation (Mandrake 10.1):

# uname -r
2.6.11-6mdk
# rpm -qa |grep samba
samba-server-3.0.13-2mdk
samba-swat-3.0.13-2mdk
samba-common-3.0.13-2mdk
samba-client-3.0.13-2mdk

The problem:

when I 'mount -t smbfs' one of the folders of the thecus and cp large
files to it from my local filesystem, I get wildly incomplete files.
Using smbclient to 'put' files however is perfect.

The thecus doesn't give me any clue whether it recognizes the write
errors, in /var/log/messages I can see:

>Mar 4 14:48:23 brutus kernel: smb_writepage_sync: failed write,
>    wsize=4096, write_ret=-512

Things like -osync don't seem to work under smbfs, so I'm at the
end of my (small) wits...

I also tried to mount the folder as cifs, but there I get totally
weird uid and gid, so I didn't pursue.  That is another mailing
list anyhow, and a question of maturity.

Thanks,

georg

--
Georg Heidenreich          |
YongJingXuan ShangHuGe 14A | phone:    +86 755 3333 6334x666