[Samba] All correct in Localhost but impossible remote connection

javier garcia-pintado jgarcia at ija.csic.es
Fri Mar 3 15:57:07 GMT 2006

Hello.

I have installed and configured succesfully samba in older Linux
computers in the past. But now I've just installed the SUSE10.0 distro
of Linux,
and I'm finding it impossible to access remotely to the samba server.
When I use smbclient from the same computer where I've got the Linux smb
server, I have no problem and I can
list the shares and succesfully login. But the connection fails when I
try to access from a remote computer, no matter if this is with Linux or
WindowsXP. And I've checked that
the case of the user and the passwords are correct:

javier at JGARCIA:~> smbclient -V
Version 3.0.20-4-SUSE

testparm doesn't give any error. My user name and passwords are exactly
similar in the server and the client computers.

When executing a smbclient on a remote Linux machine:

>smbclient -L 193.144.102.199

This gives me:

>"Error connecting to 193.14.102.199 (Operation already in progress)"

Trying to see the samba shares from a windows XP  client, I can see the
icon of the server on the MS Explorer, with the name:

Samba 3.0.20-4-SUSE (Jgarcia)

But when I click on the icon of the server, I obtain a messsage Box (in
Spanish):

"You don't have access to \\Jgarcia. Maybe you are not allowed to use
this network resource...

The access rout to the network has not been found" "

I've been the whole day with same problem and I'm giving up. I don't
know what to do.
I've tried everything. Please could you help me with this?

Best regards,

Javier