[Samba] Force update of Samba point-and-print drivers?

Jim Hogan jim.hogan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 15:42:12 GMT 2006

I hope someone here can offer an easy approach to the following
(somewhat simplified) scenario.

We have a Samba domain that is running well.  We have 10 Samba/CUPS
printers and used the Windows Print Wizard method noted on pages
225-226 (section 17.6.1) of the Prentice-Hall-published Official
Samba-3 HOWTO to install the drivers.  Over time, we learned to pay
particular attention the the printer initialization gotchas in section
17.7.4 on page 238 :)

Now let's say that 100 client PCs have installed Printer X with
Point-and-Print "Add Printer" Wizard.

But then say an updated driver comes out for that model or we realize
that the initial default settings for Printer X aren't ideal --
duplexer not initialized, say.

Without creating a new Samba/CUPS queue with a different name, is
there a straightforward way to install updated drivers (or the same
drivers so that they can be reinitialized) and then forcing client PCs
to adopt the new/tweaked drivers?

The latter circumstance (we'd like to reinitialized the drivers for 1
printer) is actually our situation, but it occurred to me that the
issue would come up any time we'd like to distribute updated drivers.

Thanks!

Jim

--
-*-  Jim Hogan